Search

Looking for recommendations - Alaska/Kenai peninsula for 6 days

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for recommendations - Alaska/Kenai peninsula for 6 days

Hi everyone,

My SO and I planning a last minute trip to Alaska and hoping to get some recommendations on things to do. I was also hoping to visit Denali National Park but after doing research, 6 days may not be enough to do it all and decided to focus on Kenai peninsula area.

In terms of interest, we are in our early 30s who loves hiking and the outdoors. We aren't into fishing so not sure if Homer is still a good place to visit. If so, what is a recommended itinerary for people who don't fish? We also want to do sea kayaking and wondering if we should do it in Seaward or anywhere else? Lastly, in terms of hiking, where do you recommend that can fit into our itinerary? I see good things about Hatcher Pass and Matanuska Glacier. The itinerary is currently still very rough and I am hoping to find activities that can fill.

These are some of the things that we are interested in seeing on this trip:

- Portage Glacier

- Exit Glacier

- Kenai Fjords Boat tour

- Alaska Dog Sledding Tours

- Hiking

- Sea Kayaking

Day 1:

Anchorage to Seaward
  • Exit glacier

Day 2:

Seaward
  • 6 hours Cruise

Day 3:

Seward to Homer

Day 4:

Stay in Homer
  • Halibut Cove
Day 5:

Stay in Homer

Day 6:

Anchorage and go home

Thank you.

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 12:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You can take a day trip by plane from Homer to the Katmai NP to see the bears in their natural habitat, fishing for salmon in streams. It is one of our favorite travel memories.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 02:55 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The first thing you need to do is see if you can find a rental car at a price that won't make your knees buckle. Otherwise it's an okay plan, depending on your specific dates. Be mindful that there is a big salmon derby in Seward during the middle of August, and accommodations can be hard to find.

Also avoid Seward Around July 4 because of a famous race that draws thousands.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In Seward, take the longer Kenai Fjords tour. At least 8 hours to get you out to the calving glacier.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 09:11 AM

In Homer we learned that if the flights to see the bears don't fill up by the day before the trip, you can go for 1/2 price. That was pre pandemic so maybe things have changed. Worth checking into.
I loved Halibut Cove.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 08:48 PM

You might want to check the warnings and closers for Exit Glacier depending on what you intend to do there.

https://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

As far as the Seward cruises, unless you have never seen ice calving off a glacier, I might not bother with the long cruise offered by Kenai Fjords to Northwestern Glacier.

I think you are making a mistake skipping Denali, TBH, if you can find a rental car and lodging and a reservation on the bus. I don't think you said when you were going. This is a good year for independent travel since the cruise ships aren't operating their excursions. However nearly all hospitality providers are short-staffed.

Another option if you can get a vehicle is to do a loop up to Denali (Cantwell area is four hours), a day or two in Denali, head east on the Denali Highway (McClaren River Lodge is great if they have room), and back via Richardson Hwy (4) to "The Hub" and then back toward Anchorage.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 19th, 2021 at 08:50 PM.