Six months in SE Asia beginning in Bangkok...help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2024, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a retired couple who relish food and beaches, we're drawn to Southeast Asia's rich tapestry of experiences. While the region boasts numerous temples, our interests lie elsewhere. Our ideal journey involves a leisurely pace, oscillating between vibrant urban hubs like Bangkok and idyllic, sizable beach destinations.

Touching down in Bangkok for 8 days, we envision our next adventure taking a flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia, where we plan to linger for five days. Then, embarking on a scenic 5-hour bus ride to Phnom Penh, we intend to soak up the local charm for a relaxing nine-day stay. Continuing our coastal odyssey, a 2.5-hour bus journey transports us to Sihanoukville, beckoning us to unwind for a blissful week.

From there, our options for onward travel are enticing, with direct flights available to Kuala Lumpur and Ho Chi Minh City—destinations we're eager to explore.

Our wanderlust extends beyond this trip, with dreams of traversing Vietnam, the Philippines, and, if fortune favors us, venturing to Korea and/or Japan. Mindful of budget constraints, we seek to strike a balance between indulgence and prudence.

We welcome any insights or recommendations you might have. Whether it's aligning our travels with captivating festivals or navigating seasonal nuances, we're grateful for your guidance as we embark on this adventure. Thank you in advance for your valuable suggestions.
Old May 13th, 2024, 03:47 PM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eyedrinkale
we envision our next adventure taking a flight to Siem Reap, Cambodia, where we plan to linger for five days. Then, embarking on a scenic 5-hour bus ride to Phnom Penh, we intend to soak up the local charm for a relaxing nine-day stay. Continuing our coastal odyssey, a 2.5-hour bus journey transports us to Sihanoukville, beckoning us to unwind for a blissful week.
I'll focus my comments on the Cambodian leg of your trip.

Whether 5 days in Siem Reap is too much or too little depends on your interest in seeing Khmer sites. If you want to focus on the main sites in and around Siem Reap, with a day or so for the town itself, 5 leisurely days is probably a reasonable estimate. An extra day might make sense.

I think few people would describe the trip between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh as "scenic" -- it's mostly flat land offering highly repetitive images and then a long hour or two of urban sprawl as you enter Phnom Penh. You could, if interested and if you time it well, break the trip with a stop at Sambor Prei Kuk.

FWIW, I think 9 days in Phnom Penh would be 4 or 5 days too much -- even at a leisurely pace. YMMV.

For your final 5 days, consider going from Sihanoukville to either one of the islands or to the riverside town of Kampot. I didn't find Sihanookville itself particularly appealing, though I readily admit that I didn't give it much of a chance.

You mention possible stops in Japan and South Korea. For the former, I strongly recommend https://www.japan-guide.com/ -- an outstanding resource! For South Korea, you might click on my screen name and scroll down for an old (2014) trip report.

Congratulations on your retirement! I'm sure you'll have a fabulous trip.