The new smoking laws, how and where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2024, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read some articles about the new smoking laws in France, that they were going to ban smoking in parks and all public outdoor spaces at the start of this year. But I've not seen any recent articles about it, the only articles I can find are from last year, and none of them have been very specific.
So, are they in effect now? What does that mean exactly? Is there ANYWHERE left that you can smoke? On the pavement? In plazas? Outdoor seating on cafes? And how strict are they enforcing it? Can you get a fine if you are caught smoking?
Going back there next month, so was just wondering.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 11:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ree-generation

I don't smoke so I don't notice but from what I can see there are also local controls put in place so you may need to be more specific about which cities you are going to.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Just to specify, in case it helps, I'm travelling to the south-west, Toulouse, Albi, and the Aveyron region.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're staying in hotels in these places, ask for clarification of local regulations.

I live in a no-smoking U.S. beach town. However, the beach is state property. So, no smoking or vaping allowed in ANY public place, indoor or outdoor, in the town but ok on the beach.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 12:26 AM

Despite living in France, I was not aware of this new law...
Doing some research, it appears that the decree enabling to implement it is not ready. No firm date is announced.
Some cities have already implemented smoking bans in selected parks or beaches. From my own observation, the enforcement is quite lenient. In fact, same as for alcool in parks. Many would be surprised to hear that a bottle of wine is not allowed for your picnic in a Parisian park. Would love to hear about someone been fined...

Last edited by rouelan; Apr 27th, 2024 at 12:30 AM.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 05:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The alcohol laws in the parks are usually only enforced if there is a risk of public drunkeness (for example, big groups of students). When there is a smoking ban outdoors (and right now that is only by local decree in parks or at beaches or near schools as we await national rules), it is much more likely to be enforced.