Best Paris restaurant guides

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2024, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Paris for 5 days in late May. What are the best resources on restaurants? I don't necessarily need to eat in Michelin starred restaurants, but with only 5 days, I'd like to make some reservations at good mid-priced restaurants. Some days, we might eat our big meal at lunch. Online guides? Books I should buy?

Thanks so much for your help.
Alice
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Alice9
We'll be in Paris for 5 days in late May. What are the best resources on restaurants? I don't necessarily need to eat in Michelin starred restaurants, but with only 5 days, I'd like to make some reservations at good mid-priced restaurants. Some days, we might eat our big meal at lunch. Online guides? Books I should buy?

Alice

Michelin lists a lot more than starred restaurants; look for restaurants that have received status from Michelin as "bib Gourmand," where you can eat well for moderate prices.
I don't think you need much more than that for a guide.

Also look at the food website, HUNGRYONION.ORG.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 07:13 PM

Alice

Michelin lists a lot more than starred restaurants; look for restaurants that have received status from Michelin as "bib Gourmand," where you can eat well for moderate prices.
I don't think you need much more than that for a guide.

Also look at the France forums on the food website, www.HUNGRYONION.ORG

What I would not recommend for restaurants is TripAdvisor.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 10:20 PM

Hungry Onion is a great resource for Paris dining. The France forum there is filled with recommendations from locals, such as ParnParis and very frequent visitors, such as sfcarole, just to name two, but there are many more posters on the France forum who are extremely knowledgable about the current Paris food scene.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 06:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For a short trip, I follow my nose and eyes when food is in the offing.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 07:09 AM

Hungryonion is the place where lots of Chowhound posters went and has great suggestions for Paris. Paris by Mouth is another good resource and has lots of good suggestions for eating mainly on the right bank. I also agree with a lot of Wendy Lyn/Paris is my Kitchen recommendations. Hungry Onion is a website and the other people are on Instagram.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 07:13 AM

I subscribe to Paris by Mouth, another good source, as macdogmom says.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to ekscrunchy, Maribel, kerouac and macdogmom! I know where to do my homework now, I don't think I would have found these resources without you. My mouth is watering already.

I'll report back in after our trip.
Alice
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 08:42 AM

Don't forget that all of the places suggested by the various guides and websites will be crowded with all of the people who follow those recommendations. That often means having to reserve at those places, which restricts your time and freedom to change plans. That's why I don't bother.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 08:53 AM

Thanks so much to ekscrunchy, Maribel, kerouac and macdogmom! I know where to do my homework now, I don't think I would have found these resources without you. My mouth is watering already.

I'll report back in after our trip.
Alice
Also I have a detailed Paris trip report (well actually a food report) from May 2023 on hungry onion under my user name Annegrace. We’re not big on Michelin stars or tasting menus, but we had some great meals at new places and old favorites.

Last edited by macdogmom; Apr 18th, 2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Excellent, macdogmom, I will definitely look it up. Sounds like you like the same kind of restaurants that we do.
Thanks! Alice
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 07:21 AM

I also use le Fooding (the site in English)

https://lefooding.com/en/search/rest...ace/paris-8246
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maribel, I will check it out!
Alice
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 04:31 AM

What area of Paris are you staying in? The city is easy enough to get around, but if you list your location we might be able to suggest some restaurants near you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

We're staying in the Latin Quarter, I'd LOVE some nearby restaurant suggestions, thanks for asking, TPAYT! The last time we were in Paris, we stayed in the 10th, and it was nice but not as convenient for most of what we planned to see.

Alice
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience with restaurants in the Fifth date from 2019 and 2017, so best recheck these recommendations for current status. Details in my trip reports (click my screen name to find them). And don't trust my spelling.

La Pie Noir, Le Cosi, l'Atlas, le Petit Saigon.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac
Don't forget that all of the places suggested by the various guides and websites will be crowded with all of the people who follow those recommendations. That often means having to reserve at those places, which restricts your time and freedom to change plans. That's why I don't bother.
The only problem with this is there is a lot of mediocre food in Paris that is expensive Especially in neighborhoods where tourists find themselves. I learned the hard way. Places that are worth going to fill up. You don't necessarily have to reserve a long time in advance, but a little advance notice is worth it.

The good thing about suggestions on hungryonion.org is that they are not always the same as the ones in the guidebooks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by shelemm
The only problem with this is there is a lot of mediocre food in Paris that is expensive Especially in neighborhoods where tourists find themselves. I learned the hard way. Places that are worth going to fill up. You don't necessarily have to reserve a long time in advance, but a little advance notice is worth it.

The good thing about suggestions on hungryonion.org is that they are not always the same as the ones in the guidebooks.

And there are lots of photos on some of the Hungry Onion Paris threads.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 06:13 AM

Here’s my trip report from 4 months ago in Dec. 2023
Our apartment was just off of St. Germain Blvd. and you might get a few tips.

Another fantastic December Paris adventure

Make sure you reserve ahead of time for everything.
we’ve been to most of tge restaurants listed several times but our new favorite was Bistrot ‘d Henry
Also Le Train Bleu is the biggest WOW and medium priced for the experience. (Both listed in my report)
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 06:47 AM

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/paris/ You might want to take a look at his site. I know he just updated his recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -