Search

A month in Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2024, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A month in Portugal

Good evening folks,

My wife and I would like to work remotely for a month spending long weekends visiting little towns and immersing ourselves in the local culture. We are thinking of two (2) weeks in Porto and the same in Lisbon but most definitely want to include the Douro Valley. September would be the ideal month but, we most certainly can move our trip a month sooner (August) or later (October.)

A little about us...we are a married couple (33 years), I will turn 60 and my wife 53 in June. This year, since it's a big decade celebration for me I decided to travel as much as we could. We ended 2023 and started 2024 in Paris, yesterday 4/12 we returned from 10 days in Italy where we spent 3 nights in Rome and 6 in Florence and now on to our next destination....Portugal. We will also be looking or should I say considering the South of France for a month as well.

Any advice on how to best structure the trip would be greatly appreciated. Plus please feel free to suggest any restaurants, bars, outing from each of the areas where we will be based.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by IsmaelD; Apr 14th, 2024 at 06:15 PM. Reason: adding travel period
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 10:44 PM

A little about us...we are a married couple (33 years), I will turn 60 and my wife 53 in June. This year, since it's a big decade celebration for me I decided to travel as much as we could. We ended 2023 and started 2024 in Paris, yesterday 4/12 we returned from 10 days in Italy where we spent 3 nights in Rome and 6 in Florence and now on to our next destination

If the stay in France and Italy began in 2023 and is continuous, you already exceeded the 90 day tourism stay.

From Google: With a valid U.S. passport book, you can stay up to 90 days in the Schengen area for tourism or business during any 180-day period.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 01:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Douro will be pretty hot in August, so I would not come early.

Old Apr 16th, 2024, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Michael. The trips mentioned have been separate trips each lasting about 10 days. A month in Portugal and a month in the South of France would be well within the guidelines.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
The Douro will be pretty hot in August, so I would not come early.
Thank you Bill! That was one of my concerns so then most definitely will consider visiting Portugal in Sep or Oct.
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 04:56 AM

Hi Ismael,
I'm working on my response to your PM, so stay tuned. I'll respond shortly!
Maribel
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 07:44 AM

i was there not long ago and thoroughly enjoyed Portugal. The advice i was given by the locals was to speak English rather than attempt Spanish.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jonnygee
i was there not long ago and thoroughly enjoyed Portugal. The advice i was given by the locals was to speak English rather than attempt Spanish.
Makes sense since Portuguese is different to Spanish.
A bit like trying to speak German in most of France, just because they are neighbouring countries.