Italy in June 2024 with Kids

Search

Italy in June 2024 with Kids

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2024, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in June 2024 with Young Kids

Hello! We are looking to take a family trip June approximately June 1 - June 12. We will have an almost 2 year old (turning 2 on the 13th), and 8 year old and 25 year old. We know we don’t have a lot of time to city hop but we definitely want to see as much as we can without overwhelming ourselves. My husband and I have been to Rome so it’s not really on my list but if it’s more economical to fly in/out of Rome we’re not opposed to spending 1 day there so the kids can see the main attractions.

The cities we’ve tossed around are Florence, Milan, Sorrento, Tuscany, Naples. I’d love to go to Venice but my hubby doesn’t seem that interested.

We would love to take the train during the trip between cities.

If you had to pick which cities (and in what order)would you visit knowing our limitations with the toddler (stroller)? Note, we have been to Paris with the two older kids and the 8 year old did well. I’m mostly worried about the itinerary with an active toddler.

We don’t need to have a jammed pack itinerary so if we need to limit it to two cities and a day-trip that would work. We are flying from the US and open to flying out of the city with the cheapest flights (looking to book economy plus or business). Anything you can suggest would be great! Thanks in advance!

Bonus Question: if we start our travel when my toddler is technically 1, do we have to return back before she’s 2 in order to board as an infant in arms for Free? If we travel the week of her birthday (June 13) it would be great if we could return later in the week.

Last edited by aria807; Apr 14th, 2024 at 02:21 PM.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 03:14 PM

Hi , Welcome to Fodors.

A couple of observations and questions: first, does your travel dates include your flights as well or is that your time 'on the ground?" If so, then you really only have about 9.5 days total to travel. That limits the amount of destinations you will be able to achieve.

While it may seem more economical to fly into and out one city, you will still have to spend money AND time having to return to it the night before your final flight home. You may find that you lose all of those savings. If you have not booked, I'd strongly consider flying multi-city, in one city and out another. If you absolutely MUST keep your flights round trip in and out of Rome, your best bet is to have Rome at the final destination of your trip and immediately head to your farthest destination upon arrival in Italy. Because you want to allow some time for your kids to see the Roman sights, you would need at least 2 nights in Rome to achieve this.

Where you go really depends on all of your interests and activity level. You have a huge swing in ages here. You can really only go as fast as the slowest person, which would be your 1-year old, who I'd imagine needs to have a steady nap and play schedule.

Honestly, with only 9.5 days and with as many of you going, I'd personally keep it to only 2 destinations, 3 at the absolute most (and would be pushing it). You lose time in transit to each destination as well as the logistics for checking in/out of lodging, getting to/from transport (if you do train) and other time sucks - which cut into your sightseeing time.

Unless someone in your group is very, very interested in Renaissance Art, Florence may only be an interest if that is an absolute must see for someone in your group. Venice might be fun, but again depends on interests as is with Milan, Tuscany (which Florence is part of), and other points. I hope others can chime in for activities for kids.

I cannot answer your bonus question. I'd call whatever airline you use to answer that one. I'd think if your child is not yet one at the time of travel (you will have to enter birth dates into the passenger section), they more than likely will not require an extra seat purchase. But I do not want to speculate and you'd need to check with them on the applicable rules.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Traveling with small kids is interesting, they need some holiday time as well as the parents. Plus June will be hot and having a swiming pool might be nice. Equally many Italians love babies, so don't expect the cold Anglo-Saxon welcome that you may be more used to, a 2 year old will be honey pot to little old ladies;-)

If it were me I'd choose two centres with as little traveling as possible. I might choose Florence and an Agriturismo up in the hills above Tuscany near a small town, like Montepulciano, Buonconvento, Siena. This part of Tuscany is one of the most beautiful. There are a fair few multi small family "farm resorts" up there where you kids could play with the mainly Italian families that use them, there are beautiful towns with ancient hearts around to visit and the area is easily reachable by train from Rome airport. Plus the food and wine is good, the walking pleasant etc etc. Going to Florence and staying in Florence for a few days means you are there when there are fewer tourists in the evening. You've seen Rome, now focus on somewhere else

Other such two centre sites exist, if you want to know more, come back.
BTW June 24 is pretty soon, you need to get a hustle on.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 11:20 PM

I'd consider the other possible advantage of flying into FCO. Direct flights. Direct flights to Florence aren't likely. You might find a direct flight into Milan.

Where to go? I'll give you the most honest possible answer. Go where you want. Pick the cities that appeal to you. Don't worry about us.

June 2nd is a holiday. If you mean this year it's a Sunday so not the most traveled day but there will be some crowds.

Unless you mean the larger Tuscan towns/cities you likely will want a car. Florence,Siena,Pisa etc can be done by train or bus but the smaller you go the more you'll want a car.

Old Apr 14th, 2024, 11:34 PM

The best city for a holiday with children is where there are hotels with a large playground. Then you can leave the children to play and remember that you are on vacation after all.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 01:26 AM

re reading what I wrote I believe it can be read two ways, so to be clear. You can reach the area by train. Since you will not want a car in Florence due to the ZTL you would then need to hire a car to enjoy the Tuscany area. Cars can be hired from near the station and there is a route out of town which avoids the ZTL. I hope that offers more clarity
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. The dates I provided include our flights in/out of Italy. I recognize this further limit the amount of time we have on the ground so I welcome any ideas you have. I looked at a map and reviewed train times between cities and would welcome up your ideas on this tentative itinerary.

Milan (arrive) - Florence - Sorrento - Rome (depart)

Potential Day Trips:
Sorrento - Naples
Sorrento - Postiano (Amalfi Coast)

Rome is really only for 1 day before we leave to allow the kids to see a couple of attractions using the hop on/off bus. Frankly I could skip it altogether but my husband may insist. It also is an option for better departing flight pricing.

if you think Milan, Florence & Sorrento are doable in our timeframe, how many days would you spend in each? Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 10:25 PM

Sorrento is a lovely place to visit, but in June, with such a short holiday and with the kids, I really would avoid it. Is it doable, of course, but is it a holiday?

If I was doing this I would look at Milan, stay two nights
Florence stay 3 nights
Rome stay the rest.

That gives some stability to the family group, get enough time to understand how to get around in each city, see something of it. Each city is very very different, with Milan being a business and fashion city so very hurry hurry environment.

Florence is tiny by comparison, if you cannot find rooms here at a reasonable price and booking so late you can look at local towns and use the train to get in (some of the local towns are actually pretty nice) but if you well position yourself you can visit Lucca, Pisa and Florence easily and get out of tourist central
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 10:09 AM

Milan and Como. Divide your time between the two depending on weather. There's plenty to see and do to keep all ages engaged for 10 days. For our two kids, water is key, especially if it's hot. The beach in Como will be a nice spot to take a break and cool off. Moving around from location to location is boring and takes a lot of energy out of everyone. Let the kids be kids and just take in the Italian culture.

We took our two kids to Switzerland a few years back. Finding places like this for a quick swim to cool off in Thun turned out to be a trip saver. Overheated kids doesn't end well at our house.

Old Apr 21st, 2024, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi folks, thanks again for the input. We were able to get some pretty good flights in biz class both ways so we’ll be flying into Rome and out of Milan.

Arrive Rome on Wed early morning and stay for 1 day for light sightseeing

Thurs - take train to Sorrento for 3 nights. I know it wasn’t recommended but we’re ok with just getting a little taste of the area since we might not be back.

Following Wed arrive in Milan for light sightseeing and fly out Thurs morning.

This gives us 4 nights to explore between Sorrento & Milan. After researching Florence it sounds like the main draw is art. We’re down for a museum or two but would much rather experience the small towns and eat! I’d love to do a family cooking class somewhere. With the constraints of our departing flight, are there any towns we can explore to maximize our time? We are ok going to one location and day tripping if that makes sense with time.

My hubby mentioned Tuscany but in research I really don’t know where to start.
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 04:29 PM

If you are flying out of Milan, have you looked at Lake Como?
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

I haven’t! What do you recommend there?