Most Overrated and Underrated, per Time Out

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are the ten most overrated tourist attractions in the world, according to Wingie

Warwick Castle, UK

Kampong Phluk, Cambodia

Stonehenge, UK

Besakih Temple, Indonesia

Jungfraujoch - Top of Europe, Switzerland

Arecibo Lighthouse & Historical Park, Puerto Rico

Graceland, USA

Sovereign Hill, Australia

Bletchley Park, UK

Ngong Ping 360, China

And these are the ten most underrated…

Ahhh Ras Natango Gallery and Garden, Jamaica

Irish National Stud and Gardens, Ireland

Al Noor Island, UAE

Cabot Trail, Canada

Stone Hall Castle, Canada

Stetson Mansion, USA

Kiambethu Farm, Kenya

Newcastle Memorial Walk, Australia

SkyPoint Climb, Australia

The Rooms, Canada
Read in Time Out Travel: https://apple.news/ARjIyaeUSQQeIsBCVCgra1g

Are some of these places even that well-known enough to be over or underrated?

I confess I haven't heard of many of them, those in Asia and Canada.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 12:35 PM

I would certainly agree with Warwick Caste being vastly overrated.

Haven't been to Stonehenge for 37 years or more other than a drive by, so can't say what it is like now. Last time I went, with my middle son, when he was 7, they were kind enough to let us inside the ropes as it was a quiet day. The time before that there were no ropes and you could just wander freely.

We went to the computer museum which shares Bletchley Park with the code breaking stuff to mark DH's retirement. We didn't bother with the code breaking bit though, but loved the crazy amateurish computer museum. It was struggling because the code breaking bit wanted the building and of course Colossus. We went to see the Harwell Dekatron computer aka the Witch, which DH programmed when at uni in Wolverhampton, and also it was nice to see some of the old computer equipment I used to operate plus PDPs which DH also programmed as part of the satellite control systems. They were disappointed to hear we live in the Netherlands, they were hoping to recruit him as a volunteer. I think it is a bit more professional nowadays.
https://www.tnmoc.org/

We haven't been to Memphis sadly but I don't think Graceland would have been high on the list to see if we had.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 02:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I can certainly think of a couple of “mountain trips” I thought far exceeded the Jungfraujoch trip.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 03:27 PM

I am surprised (but delighted) to see The Rooms on that list. It is a museum and art gallery in St. John's, Newfoundland; its stunning architecture replicating the rooms where Newfoundland fishers processed their catch. It sits high on the skyline of the city, and offers breathtaking views of the colourful city, the harbour, and the Narrows. What's inside exposes the soul of Newfoundland and Labrador.

And the Cabot Trail! So close to home. Equally stunning, but in a very different way. Just ask the local coyotes.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 09:55 PM

I must admit I haven't heard of many of the sights listed. However, our family (including two pre-teens) loved an after hours tour of Stonehenge where we were able to quietly walk among the stones. Our kids still talk about it many years later.
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

I visited Stonehenge last fall. Stones weren't as tall as I thought.

It's a name place but only needs one visit. It's amazing how much tours are designed around it, from London as well as nearby Bath and Salisbury.

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by AnselmAdorne
I am surprised (but delighted) to see The Rooms on that list. It is a museum and art gallery in St. John's, Newfoundland; its stunning architecture replicating the rooms where Newfoundland fishers processed their catch. It sits high on the skyline of the city, and offers breathtaking views of the colourful city, the harbour, and the Narrows. What's inside exposes the soul of Newfoundland and Labrador.

And the Cabot Trail! So close to home. Equally stunning, but in a very different way. Just ask the local coyotes.
I wish I had been able to accompany DH when he went to St John's for work. He went twice and loved the place, but I just couldn't et away to o with him. Always hoped we would visit together one day, but it never happened.

I think the problem with Stonehenge that it is so hyped by tour operators, and as a result so crowded, that people miss the beauty, and the amazing history of the place. It is hard to experience wonder when fighting several bus loads of tourist for a glimpse. I am so glad I was able to there, often, when you could just wander around and appreciate the site, the stones and the alignment in the countryside in peace.
Sadly Great Rollright Stones are going the same way. We wanted to visit last year as we haven't been back there since we left the UK, but we couldn't park, and it was just packed. Down the road was a tour bus, waiting to go back ad collect a group, which didn't help matters. Avebury is the same now, over run.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 10:53 PM

It seems to come up with these lists a travel booking site went to triipadvisor and somehow analyzed which sites contributors to that website found most disappointing vs most pleasing. A rating of reactions to attractions in other words.

And yet i went and looked at the lists. I cant even fathom my own reactions let alone orher peoples.

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Top 10 or Best of lists are to drive views and clicks.

But for readers, it’s an easy way to make comparisons of the items, how they rank relative to each other, whether some of them belong, what was omitted, etc.

These lists certainly facilitate discussion.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 07:19 AM

'These lists certainly facilitate discussion.'
Well-put Scrb, they certainly do.

I am done. the opinions
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 10:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
How can Jungfraujoch ever be overrated? It is a wonder of nature!
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 09:30 PM

Agreed HT! No reasonable traveler could ever feel underwhelmed up there.
I am done. the Yes song about that area
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 02:26 AM

I agree. Al Noor Island in the UAE is like a hidden gem.
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
How can Jungfraujoch ever be overrated? It is a wonder of nature!
Originally Posted by zebec
Agreed HT! No reasonable traveler could ever feel underwhelmed up there.
I am done. the Yes song about that area
Isn't Jungfrau the mountain and Jungfraujoch the station that they built up there?

Beautiful place but maybe given the price, some people would consider it overrated.