Search

England

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2024, 07:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Great that you've found (at least) three Fodorites that know Salford, and maybe even the street!!

If you extend the trip to 2 weeks total you could easily tick off Manchester/Salford + plus maybe a day trip to Lancaster . . . plus . . . York and Thirsk (the Herriot museum there is fantastic and the city of York should not ne missed) . . . plus. . . . London.

All by train and pretty straightforward. In Yorkshire you could stay in either Thirsk or in York - they are barely 15 minutes apart by train so you can day trip to either from the other. Accommodations in Thirsk might be a bit cheaper.

an aside: Many years ago when staying for a week just up the road from Thirsk (in a village called Sutton-under-Whitestonecife) we met Jim Wight (James' son) down the pub - at the time he was still a veterinarian out of his Dad's original surgery - which is now the museum.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Herriot’s daughter Rosie Page does a lot of ‘tea and talks’ in the area in aid of the local Herriot Hospice, talking about her famous dad. She came to our village last summer.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 09:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Morgana
Herriot’s daughter Rosie Page does a lot of ‘tea and talks’ in the area in aid of the local Herriot Hospice, talking about her famous dad. She came to our village last summer.

Oh - that would be special!
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 10:06 AM

Pamela1130--I'm getting vicariously excited about your trip because I just know this will be so rewarding for you. What you are trying to do is sort of a treasure hunt, and I think that by following the suggestions of so many wonderful and kind posters above, you are going to have a lot of fun in the planning stage, and that's always one-third of great travel.

Wishing you the best as you press forward,
AZ
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 03:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lower Seedley Road is off Langworthy Road, and my wife's Aunt and Uncle lived there until about the 90's. Some were larger houses, some terraced, but I'd guess that Glen Ellen was one of the larger ones.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Were they near each other, I wonder.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Wow!1 I will look into that Thank you so much.