Search

Group Trip - Need Help with Location in Bavaria

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2024, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Group Trip - Need Help with Location in Bavaria

Hello!

We are planning a large family trip (21 people no kids) to Bavaria. I have been several times before, but many of my family have not. We have done 3 previous group trips that were very successful so I know the group can get along and have a great time. We've done Ireland, Italy and Iceland previously. Since our group has grown, I don't think I will find a house big enough for all of us with in our budget (I try to keep it around $500 per person for lodging), so I'm trying to find a different option. Maybe two houses near each other or a hotel/apartment complex type of place.

More importantly I am trying to determine the best location to make our home base. I know so many of you have been helpful in the past, so I'm hoping for some good suggestions. We would like to stick to public transportation, but are willing to rent cars if we have to go that route. Here are the things we know we want to do: Also going the last week of March 2025.
- Munich including starkbier festival (weekend of March 23)
- Fussen castles
- Eagle's Nest
- Salzburg including Sound of Music tour (I know but you have to compromise in a group)
- Cute village TBD

Munich to Fussen to Salzburg are a little far from each other, but doable by long train rides. I'm wondering if a place midway between Munich and Salzburg would be better with a long ride to Fussen? I don't know, any suggestions appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You in advance!
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 05:36 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Garmisch-Partenkirchen? Under 90 minutes from Munich by train, 90 to 2.5 hours from Fussen by train/bus depending on route and time of day, and 3.5 hours by train from Salzburg.

It's a trek from there to Berchtesgaden though, 4:45 to Berchtesgaden (Eagles Nest).

Also close to Mittenwald, which might fill your interest in a cute village. And Garmisch-Partenkirchen is no slouch in that regard.

Chiemsee, Bavaria's largest lake is located halfway between Munich and Salzburg, but I'm not familiar with it. There are a few towns around it such as Prien am Chiemsee.

https://us.trip.com/travel-guide/des...hiemsee-25942/

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 26th, 2024 at 05:44 AM.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! This is a great suggestion, looking into it now!