Reload this Page >

Trip to France with 2 Grandkids (and their Moms) - Magical

Search

Trip to France with 2 Grandkids (and their Moms) - Magical

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2024, 12:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
What a delightful read.
You planned so well, a trip for all generations. Knowing what you want to experience is key.
Our boys had their first opportunity to explore a small town on their own when we stayed in Mittenwald, Bavaria. They had a lot of fun in the local grocery store! There are memories we have talked about years later, the people we met on walking trails, our first ever experience of a (lightest of dusting) snowfall, the food, the wonder of being somewhere that feels so different, so many little moments.
And it’s ignited a love for travel that I’m thrilled about.

Old Feb 28th, 2024, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vonce, the kids at ages 10 and 13 were definitely at a good age to undertake a pretty ambitious trip and appreciate the experience.

Adeliadean, it sounds like your trip to Germany with your boys provided some great long lasting memories, with the added bonus of instilling in them a love of travel. We're hoping this trip instills the same love in our grandkids.

The Citadines Tour Eiffel was definitely a splurge for us. We reserved two apartments, one for our daughters and their kids, and one for my husband and myself. Our apartment had the added bonus of a balcony with an Eiffel Tower view. We wanted to be close enough to the Eiffel Tower so that the girls and their kids could easily walk to it in the evening and enjoy the spectacle up close. Seeing the tower lit up and sparkling so spectacularly is something we had loved to experience on previous visits to Paris. I knew my husband and I could not make the walk this time, but figured the view from the hotel balcony would be a good alternative for us, and it was.

By the time we checked into the hotel, we still had several hours until the light show at the Tower, and we put that time to good use. Our grandson wanted to visit Napoleon's Tomb, so he and his mother went off in that direction. My granddaughter was hungry, so we walked along with her and her mom looking for a sidewalk cafe where she could have a snack and we could each have a glass of wine and watch the people go by. Paris is the best place in the world to do that!

Our daughters wanted to try a local brasserie for dinner but we thought the kids were tired and probably not very interested in a meal out at a restaurant. Because these apartments had kitchenettes, microwavable food was purchased for them and they hung out in the hotel room while the four of us went across the street and had a good dinner at a friendly, very Parisian establishment. This dinner was another high point, not just because of the quality of the food but the kindness of the staff. When, before the meal, I asked to use the "toilette", there was quite a flurry of activity while the staff emptied the tiny water closet cubicle of a motorbike, various packing crates and duffle bags before offering the facility to me with a flourish and a bow. I truly appreciated their efforts, even if they overlooked a motorcycle helmet that filled the sink. My hand washing was thus impeded but I had hand sanitizer in my purse to save the day. When I returned to our table, the look on my face must have comical because the girls, when they heard the story, had a really good laugh and put the memory of " Mom and the toilette" near the top of the list.

After dinner, the 4 of them went off to the Eiffel Tower and we sat on our balcony. It was a beautiful night with a lovely soft sunset tinting the sky with pastels, providing a beautiful backdrop as the tower began to light up in the background. When it was finally dark and the tower started sparkling, I wished we were there with the family to watch their reactions. However, the two of us had a good view from where we were, relaxed and in comfortable chairs, enjoying the spectacle. When it was over, the family came back to our room to say goodnight, excited, happy, and I'm pretty sure, totally exhausted.

Before we had to leave for the airport the next morning, there was enough time for the grandkids to have breakfast on our balcony while their mothers did one quick walk around the neighborhood. But soon the four of them were off to catch their flight to Baltimore, and we were on our way to New York, where we had an airport hotel near JFK booked for the night with the intention of flying the final leg home the next day. That didn't happen, as our flight the next day was cancelled due to thunderstorms up and down the east coast. We didn't make it out of New York for 2 more nights. The flight was officially cancelled so late in the day that all the nearby airport hotels were sold out. Luckily, we booked the last room at a Hilton Garden 40 minutes from the airport and didn't have to sleep in the terminal as we did many years ago in Chicago. Fortunately, our family made it safely home with only a few delays. After 12 days away, the grandkids were happy to be reunited with their dads and their various pets, and were already looking forward to the summer vacation-from-school days still to come.

What, besides lovely and long-lasting memories, did our three-generational trip provide each generation? For my husband and myself, it provided the chance to see some of the places we had traveled to, and enjoyed so much in the past, in new and special ways through the eyes of our family. For our daughters, it reaffirmed their love for travel and inspired them to make time in their busy lives to keep on traveling, especially if they could do it together. For our grandkids, we hope this trip provided them with a new perspective on the big world they live in. Experiencing a new country, a new culture, and a new language can be exciting and fun, and we hope it instilled in them a sense of adventure that they will keep always. Traveling, we believe, is an education in itself, and we would love it if eventually our grandkids become high honors students in that subject.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 05:46 AM

What a great finale ending your trip with a hotel/apartment in Paris with an Eiffel Tower view.
The kids will remember the sight for a long time.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 06:26 AM

I loved your trip and your report. What joy. We did the same things with our two daughters around the same ages, and you brought back great memories.
I recently told my daughters that I have "Grandma Rights" to take their children on their first trip to Paris, but darn it, the oldest one is only 5. Sigh.
I'm stuck in Disney World and beach va-cay for the time being. Yes, first world problems

Anyway, you made my day.
AZ
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 07:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Excellent report and a vibrant validation of family travel.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by kerouac
Excellent report and a vibrant validation of family travel.
Absolutely! We always take at least one extended family vacation every year, three generations till our mom was there. No grandkids yet, but hopefully in a couple years.

Yes, it’s a lot of planning to make this work, but everyone’s free to do their own stuff. We do try and have one meal together every day, and treasure the evening downtime when we tell each other about the day’s activities at our rental apartment. So many wonderful memories to look back on…
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:50 AM

This was a wonderful trip report, it sounds like you all really relish the small joys that travel brings. With 3 grown children and 4 GC and more coming, I doubt we will ever have the chance to get everyone together for the same sort of trip. It would be a dream vacation, and a chance for younger ones to explore the world and celebrate our differences. Well done!
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Reading54, sometimes I think it is definitely worth it to spend more on a hotel room if it can be part of the experience, as this room at the Citadines Tour Eiffel was for us.

Alessandra Zoe, I hope that eventually you can travel to Paris with your grandchildren, but Disney World and the beach sound pretty nice with small kids right now.

Kerouac & geetika, Yes, family travel is special on so many levels. Definitely, it's worth jumping through a few hoops to make it happen.

Mdinbc, thanks for your kind words. I hope you can take that dream vacation with your family some day.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 01:32 PM

This is so inspirational Candace! I really really hope to do something like this with my children and grandchildren someday! What a wonderful gift for all of you.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 01:43 PM

Great report. What a lovely trip you had! The grandkids will remember it forever. So nice to see a family who is not rushing around like crazy to check things off a list!
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 04:04 PM

Candice, what a lovely report! Obviously, a lot of thought and planning went into this family adventure. It was a pleasure to read and I hope you have many more in the future.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 05:02 AM

Candace, regarding "Disney" and "beach"
Don't you know it! Believe, me, I count my blessings daily. Unlike many grandmas, I get to live walking distance from one grandchild, and I see the other two, even though they live many airplane miles away, more than five times a year.
And both sons-in-law like us--and we them.
All good.
AZ
Full unabashed disclosure-I used Disney with my two daughters as a training ground before we hit Europe. Getting them Epcot passports inched them toward "The GOAL." And nothing prepares a kid for long lines (plus knowing how to escape lines) and long days like Disney. Boot Camp!
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Irice, Susan P, and gomiki, I'm so glad you enjoyed my report. When I was writing it, I hoped that describing what worked for us on this multigenerational trip might help others planning the same type of travel.

AZ, it's wonderful to hear about your very positive "grandma" experience. There is nothing like it, is there? Like you, I count my blessings daily.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 07:16 AM

Candace Brava ! This is, without a doubt, one of the best and most enjoyable Trip Reports I have read. And your multi generational exploration of Paris and the Dordogne took me right back there....so MERCI !
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 11:57 PM

As it was still early June, the streets of Domme were relatively quiet and any fellow tourists strolling through the village seemed to be mainly French speaking senior citizens.

There's a retirement home close to the esplanade.
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

MarnieWDC, C'est gentil, merci! Knowing this report brought back enjoyable memories for you of Paris and the Dordogne makes my day!

Michael, What a great location for a retirement home! In my estimation, daily strolls along the walls and through the streets of Domme would be a fine way to spend the "golden years".
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 06:39 PM

What a wonderful trip report and trip you had! I love how you took a nice easy pace and still managed to do and see a lot. I'm sure the kids will remember it for many years, and that it sparked an interest in travel.
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, pg travel, that was our hope. If this trip inspires our grandchildren to love travel, we’ll be truly happy.