Search

Kerama Islands - Tokashiki

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2024, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kerama Islands - Tokashiki

Hi, Fodorites.

Just wanted to post a bit of informational signage for my mother's home island of Tokashiki for any English speakers interested in taking the ferry from Tomari port. I realize it's not that easy to find information, but for those who love (intense) sun and beaches and snorkeling/diving, Aharen and Tokashiku beaches may be on their radar. Note: This is from June 2023, though I expect the bus routes are still in effect and the rental car company shown in the signage is likely still in business--though may not have English speakers.

I can try to answer questions, but I'm no expert. I've visited many times for family who live in Tokashiki village, and the tourism infrastructure is growing rapidly, but was not really in place in the years I was visiting often. Even the new ferries are great. In the past, the ferry guaranteed sea-sickness, with everyone riding to the island sitting cross-legged in a carpeted room.

Hope this signage is helpful and puts some travelers minds at ease.

June 2023 Bus schedule. This sign is posted in the Information Center right at Tokashiki Port, so any updated times should be posted there. Restrooms and waiting area, and vending machines here while you wait for bus/ferry.

View of Cape Aharen. This is NOT Aharen Beach, but a picnic/observation spot.

Tokashiki map

Cape Aharen. (Not Aharen Beach.)

Informational guidebook information posted on the express ferry to the island.

Walking routes, though I can't believe ANYONE walks in anything but the winter months. It is mountainous, winding roads, and only the most serious hikers would do this, IMO. Do not attempt in heat and sun.

Detail of some sites of architectural/historic interest near Tokashiki port.

A rental car sign posted in the Tokashiki information center.

Tokashiki map
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 06:52 AM

Very nice. Good info, thanks. Had never heard of Tokashiki before.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

One last pic that I wanted to upload at full size for detail. Note: this was taken in June 2023.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, mrwunrfl . Yes, the explosion of Okinawa tourism is surprising to me. My cousins have started their own rental car company and one is building a small hotel on Tokashiki on my grandmother's land. From my experience, it was predominantly mainland Japanese who visit. A bit challenging for English speakers at present, but nice to see tourists supporting the local economy.

Tokashiki locals endured so many horrors during WWII, with the coerced mass suicides/gyokusai, and months of hiding in caves/ravines from the October 10, 1944 air raids that decimated so much of Naha and the Keramas. Very little of that history exists, at least of the Japanese involvement in the gyokusai, but I have a few Japanese books on the topic, and it is heartbreaking. Those historic areas of Tokashiki are impossible to visit, as they are steep ravines, overgrown jungles, and home to poisonous habu snakes, but there are a few memorials around the island for those who wish to seek them out. Including one to the conscripted Koreans who served the Japanese military.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 09:08 AM

I think you mean an explosion in visits by foreign tourists, like everywhere else in Japan. Otherwise, I could imagine that the non-Japanese signage was simply because they had national government tourism promotion funding to spend on that. Probably some increased domestic tourism due to post-pandemic revenge travel and the post-pandemic domestic travel incentives that were offered for a while by the governments.

I see there are nonstops to Naha from Taipei, Hong Kong, Shanghai. Probably a lot of tourists from those places, like the ones I saw in Fukuoka and on the Yufuin no Mori train last fall. And everywhere else and from everywhere.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I believe you're absolutely right. Good news for their economy, but has definitely altered the Okinawa I remember. It's surreal seeing massive cruise ships docking there now.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 10:17 AM

ah, cruise ships too