Search

Advice for split time between kos and Nisyros

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2024, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for split time between kos and Nisyros

Hello!

I'm seeking your insights on how to divide my time between Kos, Nisyros, and Bodrum during a segment of my Greece trip scheduled for August 2024.

- **18 August**: Departure from Astypalea at 20:45, Arrival in Astypalea at 00:30

- 19-20-21: Kos (3 full days)
- 22-23: Nisyros (2 nights)
- 24-25-26: Bodrum (3 full days)
- 27th: Return to Kos for flight Kos/Athens
- 28-29-30: Athens (3 full days).

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 01:00 AM

There is no need to do the Astypalea - Kos ferry ride in the middle of the night.
There will be more ferries in August, to both Kos and Kalymnos (at least ANE Kalymnou and Dodecannese Seaways).
Since decades, timetables of local Greek ferries are published at the last possible moment.
Where will you stay on Kos Island? For the best sandy beaches (Kardamena - Kefalos) you can leave the ferry at Kalymnos as well and change there to a (frequent) Mastichari bound ferry.
All buses from Kos to airport - Kardamena - Kefalos pass through Mastichari.
In August, there will be local ferries betwween Kardamena and Nisyos.
You will need half a day for he visit of the vulcanic area of Nisyros. There are organized day trips from Kos.

There is only 1 official taxi at Nisyros, plus a car rental agency where you can book a car with driver for a Island tour.

Bodrum ferries are fine. But the border control (on both sides) is often chaotic. Count at least 1 hr for that (in high season).
There are not many remains of ancient Bodrum (Halicarnassos).
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you nekervend for your exhaustive response on the different possibilities to visit the pretty towns of Kos and the island of Nisyros.
Checking on Openseas I discovered that there is a direct ferry from Astypalea to Nisyros. I'm thinking of spending 2 nights in Nisyros and taking the ferry to Kardamena.
What do you think ?

You seem to favor Mastichari. If I had to choose between Kardamena and Mastichari which one should I choose according to you.
Do you think I should also pay Zia a visit?
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 09:18 AM

Last year, there were 3 weekly ferries from Astypalea to Nisyros and 3 more which went to Kos without continuing to Nisyros:
Rhodos bound catamaran Dodecanissos Pride: Astypalea dp every Wednesday at 13.35 - Nisyros ar 16.20
Rhodos bound Saos ferry FB Stavros: Astypalea dp every Friday at 4.30 am (!) - Nisyros ar 10.25
Kastellorizo bound FB Bluestar Patmos: Astypalea dp every Sunday at 10.45 - Nisyros ar Monday at 2.05 (!)
FB Bluestar Kalymnos stops at Pothia (Kalymnos) at 22.45, a much more decent time for hotel check in.
It's easy to reach Kos (Masticherai) from Pothia the day after by one of the frequent local ferries. At Mastichari you find frequent buses to both, Kos town and Kos airport - Kefalos.

Patmos bound catamaran Dodecanissos Pride: Astypalea dp every Saaturday 13.50 - Kos ar 15.35
Pothia bound ferry FB Kalymnos: Astypalea dp Tuesday and Thrursday at 13.45 - Kos ar 18.00.

According to the published timetable for 2024, Saos ferries don't seem to go to Astypalea any longer.
The other 2 companies have not yet published their summer timetables.
I suppose that Dodecannese Seaways will come very soon, however.

IMO Mastichari is a ugly place, but handy for change from ferry to bus if one cones from Pothia (Kalymnos).
The bvest sandy beaches are around Kefalos.
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for providing all the ferry route details, including departure and arrival times for each company. I didn't realize there were so many companies operating between Astypalea and the mentioned Dodecanese islands.

As for the return journey from Kos or Kalymnos to Piraeus or to the Cyclades , is Blue Star 2 the only ferry that serves this route in August ?
Please ,how would you arrange splitting time during 10 days between Nisyros, Kos and Kalymnos ?
Please , in case to return from Astypalea to Piraeus via Syros ,do you have an idea if there are companies that provide this route in August ? In such a scenario, I assume that there is not a direct ferry and the initial port connexion to Ios would be either Naxos, Mykonos or Paros before proceeding to change to Syros. Nevertheless, I think that for the moment it is uncertain to know what are the ports that allow same-day transit to Syros ?

Old Feb 6th, 2024, 09:08 AM

KOS - PRAEUS:
In August, Buestarferries have daily ferreis from Rhodos to Kos - Piraeus. All are overnight ferries with departure from Kos in the evening, except on Saturdays, where the ferry leaves Kos at noon and stops over at Katapola (Amorgos).
ASTYPALEA - SYROS
Bluestarferry Astypalea - Naxos plus catamaran Naxos - Syros
Bluestarferries haave not yet published th August timetable. The boat leaves Asypalea 3times weekly, either around 5am (!) or aorund 6 pm.(with arrival at Naxos around 11p,).
In the first case you can go on from Naxos at 13.50 by catamaran Worldchampionjet (Syros ar 15.00), in the other case you have to spend the night at Naxos.
On Saturdays, there is also a slow ferry (FB Artemis) Naxos dp 13.20 - Syros ar 16.15.
KOS - SYROS
If you start from Kos instead of Astypalea, you may also travel via Samos:
Kos dp Wednesday and Friday 19.45 by FB Bluestar Kissamos - Vathy ar at midnight.
Bus to Karlovasi.
Karlovasi dp 16.45 - Sysros ar 21.30 by FB Bluestar Mykonos (daily except Tuesday and Wednesday.

You may also fly from Astypaleadp 18.00 to Athens, go by train or metro to Piraeus, sleep at the Port Square Hotel and go on to Syros by 7.30am ferry.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank's a lot for giving me and for anyone will read this thread all the different options of transport in Dodecannese and Cyclades which is very helpful to organize any trip before the publication of the timetable of 2024 ,unless certains companies will change their time and departing and arriving dates.

Please, my last question is:
Is the route from Amorgos to Astypalea solely served by Blue Star Naxos?
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 08:03 AM

"Is the route from Amorgos to Astypalea solely served by Blue Star Naxos?W
Bluestarferrreis is the only company operating between Amorgos and Astypalea (since more than 20 years).

These 2 Islands are best combined with Kos:
Piraeus dp Saturday at 12.00 - Astypalea ar 20.25
Transfer to Kos during the week
Kos dp Saturday at 12.00 - Katapola (Amorgos) ar 15.20.
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you neckervd for your response.
SInce I have the option to go from Leros to Lesvos is the only way is to go to Ikaria and from there to Lesvos?
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 01:25 AM

LEROS - LESBOS/MYTILLINI
You would bypass a lot of very scenic Islands like Lipsi, Patmos, Samos, Chios, Inousses.
Usual way:
Dodecannese Seaways catamaran or ANE Kalymnou slow ferry or tiny boat Leros Express from Leros to Pythagorio (Samos), bus from Pythagorio to Vathy and may be another bus from Vathy to .Karlovasi, Bluestarferry from either Vathy or Karlovasi to Chios - Inousses - Mytilini/Lesbos about 3times weekly.
People who have enough time and money for the visit of the huge Greek ruins of Ephesos and Pergamon (both in Turkey), go by morning boat from Vathy to Kusadasi and from there by minibus to Selcuk/Ephesos, the day after by bus to Izmir - Bergama, visit the ruins of Pergamon and proceed the third day to Ayvalik in order to bord a Lesbos bound ferry.
Travel via Ikaria makes only sense if you want to stay at Ikaria:
twice weekly catamaran from Leros to Ayos Kirikos, taxi ride through the mountains to Evdilos on the other side of the Island, ferry from there to Karlovasi (Samos)-.
The actual Ikaria (Evdilos) - Lesbos - Thessaloniki ferry never runs in summer.

But the timetables for the Eastern Aegean lines (all companies) are not yet published (...as usual).

Last edited by neckervd; Feb 21st, 2024 at 01:28 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Ferry tickets and seats

Hi neckervd!
I hope you are doing well.
Iwould like to have your opinion on some ferry transport matters:

1) - I am planning to take the ferry from Santorini to Katapola on a Sunday in July 2024.

On ferryhopper, there are 2 options:
a) - The Express Skopelitis, which takes 5 hours for €11.5/person + €1.8 reservation fee.
For an additional €4 for priority treatment and free modification or total : 17€.

There are only deck and lounge seats available.
Tickets are usually picked up at the departure port.

b) - The Superjet of Seajets, which takes 1h15m for €77.79.
The Boarding is possible with the electronic ticket.
For a Flexi fare, €8 must be added.
For free modification and cancellation and priority treatment , an additional €4 must be . Total: €93.

2) - I will also need to take the Blue Star ferry between Aigiali and Astypalea.
Ticket costs €13 + €1.8 reservation fee.
For Flexi and Plus fares, €8 must be added. Total: €21.40 per ticket.
Boarding is possible directly with the electronic ticket.

First question:
For the first route , I tend to prefer the Skopelitis for the price. However I don't have any idea about Skopelitis. Is it comfortable enough to endure the 5-hour journey?
​​​​​​
Second question:
Should I buy the tickets from now or wait to make it a few days before departure ?.

Third question:
Is it recommended to choose flexi option for free modification and cancellation?
Thank you.
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 08:31 AM

FB Skopelitis and the catamaran Superjet 2 are rather small boats and may not be too comfortable by rough sea.
Small Cyclades Lines ? ?????????? ??? ????????? ??? ?????? ????????
Both don't run in case of storms with huge waves. But that's rather the exception.
According to my experience in the last decade, I suppose you will have a chance of about 80 prcent that the actually published timetables will not change in the meantime.
Said all that, I prefer FB Skopelitis by far: you can move between saloon, bar, open deck chairs,sit where you like best and change from one place to the other as many times as you like.

There is no need to book FB Bluestar Naxos (Aegiali dp Mo, We, Fr, Sa at 14.30) ahead. The boat will be half empty. Buy your ticket at Aegiali shortly before the boat's departure. You will pay 12 EUR/pax and not a cent more.
I would buy the ticket for FB Skopelitis a few days ahead, at any Greek travel agency. I usually buy all my boat tickets at once, after arrival in Greece.
If you prefer Superjet 2, I would buy the ticket may be a few weeks ahead, on the booking engine of the company: https://tickets.seajets.com/trips.ph...AMO/2024-07-07
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 09:06 AM

Ksiba, just out of curiosity, what ferry website are you looking at? It’s always best, if you insist on booking ahead, to book directly with the ferry company, be it Skopelitis, Sea Jets, or Blue Star. With ferry booking I have never even heard of the add-ons “Flexi, free modification, priority treatment, etc”. Booking directly with the ferry company you won’t have any of those extra fees.
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the detailed information.

It seems that the company owning the Skopelitis does not have its own website. So, I have to book through any other reservation platforms.

According to the description provided by neckervd, I decided to book tickets for the Skopelitis. The significant price difference compared to Seajets does not seem justified to choose the latter company, except of course for the travel time, which is potentially much shorter on the Superjet operated by Seajets.

Old Mar 12th, 2024, 01:00 AM

"It seems that the company owning the Skopelitis does not have its own website"
It seems you didn't open the link I gave you above: website of Small Cyclades Lines.
But once again: there is no need to book days ahead.
If you enter Greece a few days before your departure from Santorini, you can just buy your ticket at any Greek travel office.
Local people buy their ticket usually a few moments before the boat's departure.
Port agent of FB Skopelitis at Santorini: https://www.dakoutrostravel.gr/
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Sorry dear neckervd,I didn't realize it was a link to the company's website. Thank you for pointing it out to me.
I posted a similar question on the Fodor's forum of Turkey about trips between Lesbos and Ayvalik.
I don't know if you can help about it on the Turkey forum especially to know if it is the same than for domestic routes in Greece to reserve even for August once in Lesbos and only few days before, since there are only two companies which provide the transport and with limited capacities.
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 11:50 AM

In the case you plan to proceed slowly from Astypalea via Kos - Leros - Samos - Chios to Mytilini, you might check the alternative via Turkey:
Samos (Pythagorio or Vathy) - Kusadasi- Izmir - Bergama - Ayvalik - Mytilini
resp. Chios- Cesme - Izmir - Bergama - Ayvalik - Mytilini