Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hiring a one way private driver in Italy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I will be going from Genoa, Italy, to Mantua on April 26, 2024. The usual. way to go would be Genoa -Milan_ then change to Mantuar. Two problems: I hate the statione central in Milano and with my husband recently passed away, there will be no one to protect from thieves training thieves in training. Also, this is a trip when I will not be able to travel carry-on as I usually do. And I'm high COVID risk. The only thing I can think of is a private driver or taxi--have never traveled in this way and have no idea where to begin. There are no flights from Genoa to Verona, which was my hope. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Old Dec 17th, 2023, 05:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you sure you want a private driver . . . MXP to Mantua is almost 150 miles and a limo would cost a fortune.

Out of curiosity I dd check one car service and for one passenger, one way MXP > Mantua they quoted €645 to €1,029 depending on the vehicle. Round Trip would be €1,284 to €2,053.

I'm not recommending them but just to give you a point of reference . . . https://www.milanobycar.com
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 06:14 PM

It's worse since the OP is starting in Genoa.

It seems possible to connect in Milano Rogoredo if the OP wants to avoid the main station but high risk Covid you might want to avoid the train. Especially during the winter.
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
It's worse since the OP is starting in Genoa . . .
Oh jeeze -- of course. (hand slap to forehead ) I was just thinking from Milan to avoid the train station.

​​​​​​But Genoa > Mantua isn't and awfully lot farther, so my guess is those rates would probably be in the ballpark.
Old Dec 17th, 2023, 11:27 PM

Check out goopti. It will at least give you an idea of the cost, even if you don’t book through them.

https://www.goopti.com/en/

From the Genoa port to Mantua rail station on that date is 542 euros for a private transfer. If you are staying in a hotel, they might have a list of local drivers…

Old Dec 18th, 2023, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
An alternative to this is to use a meet-and-greet service. A fair few exist in Milano Centrale. https://italiapass.rezdy.com/149994/...-train-station for example at E79 might be suitable and more cost sensible
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 01:20 AM

https://www.trenitalia.com/it/inform...taridotta.html

Cheaper in the sense it's free the OP might be able to request assistance . It's in Italian but hopefully the OP's web browser can translate.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 03:04 AM

Covid: why should a car with driver or a plane be safer than a train?

Genova - Mantova by train:
either Geova PP - Milano Rogoredo and Milano Rogoredo - Mantova
or
Milano - Pavia, Pavia - Codogno and Codogna - Mantova
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd

Genova - Mantova by train:
either Geova PP - Milano Rogoredo and Milano Rogoredo - Mantova
or
Milano - Pavia, Pavia - Codogno and Codogna - Mantova
This makes the most sense if you want to avoid Milano Centrale. However, Milano Centrale is not a den of thieves; I use the station about once a year.

They have Sala Blu services there that provide assistance to people with reduced mobility. They will have someone meet you with a wheelchair and get you to your train. Hopefully, the assistant will be able to fend off bandits and shoulder a 50 kilo suitcase. You have to request the service 24 hours in advance.

https://www.rfi.it/en/for-persons-wi.../sala-blu.html

Milano Rogoredo also has assistance, but I'm not sure of the level of assistance, because they don't seem to have a Sala Blu.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 04:29 AM

Just joking about the bandits and the 50-kg suitcase.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
One other person instead of eighty?
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
One other person instead of eighty?
Maybe so -- except the OP does say that flying would be her actual preference - "There are no flights from Genoa to Verona, which was my hope. ". I'm with neckervd on this -- flying or train no difference really (except a plane is even more confined than a train).

Old Dec 18th, 2023, 10:37 AM

We spent three-plus weeks in Sicily last May using private drivers and it was wonderful. See if you can find online of on this forum, private drivers in the Genoa area; it will make its so much easier for you, as it did for us, and our total was not much more than renting a car would have been for our entire trip.......

Peace of mind knowing that someone will be waiting to take your bags, give a friendly hello, and fill you in on there sights=priceless, for me and my partner, as he was in bad physical shape and never could have driven on that trip.
(I've now taken over the driver role but will also use drivers as needed, for example, perhaps this year in late spring....once we decide where in Italy to go!!)

I you cannot find a few drivers online, I will join in the search...
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Back to old thread of mine: Hiring a private driver in Italy?

Returning to this months later. My trip has now been made and canceled several times, but in the end the City Hotel Best Western in Genoa (which is excellent, small, first rate breakfast, small cup-de-sac near central piazza, moderate prices, wonderful staff) found me private driver company. I arranged to be picked up at Malpensa in Milan and driven to my/our hotel in Genoa, then on from Genoa to Mantua. The Mantua arranged a ride back to Malpensa so I could fly back to Paris.

Expensive, but Covid safe and I'm high risk, saving money by flying with miles. I'm trying for the third time to make this trip in October and hope to recreate the same idea.

A belated thanks to everyone for your help.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, had to cancel trip. That's finally what I did and just now posted
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

La stazione centrale in Milan is an outer circle of purgatory to me. Train stations and trains higher Covid risk than plane. All my fights were business, planned severe measures for airports. Older women alone good practice for people in Advanced Theft school in Milan.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks and I agree, esp in this situation--high Covid risk and will be traveling without my Italian husband who passed away a year ago. First time flying since 2019.

I'm curious where you decided to go in Italy.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

OP (now returned on the scene)'s husband was Italian. Her/my Italian was once fluent, now not so much, but it would make do if necessary. Plane has better air filters. No one in Italy uses Covid precautions, many are not vaccinated. Private driver much more likely to be willing to mask, only one person putting me at risk instead of train full. Flights business (using miles). Not totally safe but safer.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes, and if they rely on hotel business, more likely to agree to use provided N95 mask.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Have had several bad past experiences at Milano Centrale when not with Italian husband...before Covid. Trains much as I love them are still too risky. Used to be quite comfortable in other train stations.