Italy beach vacation

Search

Italy beach vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2022, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy beach vacation

We're a couple in our 30's and have about 7 nights of a ~24 day Italy trip we'd like to spend by the beach and I'm finding it quite hard to get an understanding of the options we're considering which are: Sardinia, Salina and Ponza and how they compare (not concerned with logistics, convenience, etc but impression and 'personality'). The trip is in September and we're from Sydney Australia.
We'd a place that can be described as rustic, authentic, beautiful. Looking for a pretty town where we could have a sea view and/or walk to a nice beach. Somewhere that's not developed or run by tourists. We're not interested in "sights" per se, but would want to spend some days going on excursions swimming, hiking, biking, snorkeling if available. Food is also a big priority. We always try to avoid places with lots of development/ headliner destinations/big resorts.
Would love to hear from people on these places and what their impression was. Do any stand out as a good fit? They all look and sound amazing.
We have some more specific questions too -
Sardinia: Baunei coast seems nicest to us. I noticed the 'top beaches' there (e.g. Cala Goloritzé, Cala Mariolu) must be reached by hike or boat...but how are the nearby towns where one would be based? Cala Gonone seems closest - is it nice? how are the beaches and restaurants in town? is it oriented around locals or mostly tourism?
Salina: I love the exotic beauty of this place. I feel a bit biased towards it, but I also haven't been able to find many first hand accounts
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're flying from Australia to go to an Italian beach? To make it worse you want someplace that's not overrun with tourists and is rustic? Okay September things will be slower than August .

It wouldn't be my first choice. Most beaches worth going to in Italy are by definition overrun with beach goers.

There are some beaches in the south of Spain that might fit your requirements. Or maybe up the coast around Cartagena.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
certainly more marginal beaches will be closed or closing down into September, the sand will still be there but the facilities begin to disappear
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Because of Sardinia's size, you can doubtless find quiet-ish spots, and there are beautiful beaches all around the island. Just google 'most beautiful beaches Sardinia.' Look also at the small islands off the west coast (the names escape me). But Sardinia's healthier economy is due in great part to tourism, so there will be tourists. The island experienced unprecedented wildfires last year, and you might want to learn whether they reached or came close to any areas you're contemplating. There were a few villages that were nearly burned to the ground, and there will be blackened hillsides.

If you want an Italian island that isn't crowded with tourists, look for islands not mentioned in most guidebooks.... Like Ventotene (Roman history, some interesting diving, bird watching) and Ustica (diving, hiking/biking/walking).