GPS Maps for smart phones

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2022, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What online maps that don’t need wifi do you use in your European trips?

I use maps.me and have just discovered windy maps. Although I’m a big fan of paper maps, sometimes I need to know where I am, which is why I love gps digital maps.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 05:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm very careful with my expenditure on phones (probably spend £20 a year) so I use the off line GPS function. I often run two at a time with one just showing me where I am and one showing a cycling route I want to follow. I do this as the data sets for all systems are not the same and the cycle paths I tend to use are way-off the beaten track.

In terms of selection I just down load a few at the start of the holiday and work with what comes to hand first . I always include Here We Go or a derivative as I find it has a good data set, then it depends on the type of map tracker *.* file I'm hacking.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 01:42 PM
J62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use google maps, offline.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 07:07 PM

Google maps. Especially when they increased the life of downloaded maps to more than a year.

If I really wanted something else I'd think of the TomTom app that turns your phone into a TomTom GPS. But it's not much cheaper than a standalone GPS.
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 06:07 AM

Google maps offline, or HereWeGo, also offline. Download the areas/countries you are visiting before leaving home or when you have access to good WiFi. HereWeGo makes it easy to download an entire country, or indeed several entire countries. Make sure you turn tracking off if using Google Maps. Both are a bit quirky in their routing, and have a tendency to send you down stupid routes to cut off a corner and save you a nanosecond on your journey so watch that.
If you want more scenic routes Kurviger is meant for motorbikes but offers some nice routes for cars (and campers!) too. I think they have an offline option, I haven't used it for quite a while.
I shall have a look at Windy Maps. Sounds interesting.

Last edited by hetismij2; Jan 10th, 2022 at 06:10 AM.