Search

Travel to UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2020, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to UK

Hi Everyone

I am a Namibian National. We do not require to apply for Visa's when wishing to Visit the UK. I know this is a bad time to travel, ragarding Covid, but this is the only time that both my daughter and I can get off from work and school.

We wish to visit my boyfriend in London. We will be staying with him and he will be responsible for all expenses. This is our first time leaving the country. The daration for our stay will be a month.

The reason I am posting on this forum is because I read tgat people get turned away by immigration officers if they say that they are visiting their boyfriend. I do understand that people overstay. But I do have a job as a shop assistant, my daughter will be grade 1 next year and was accepted at her current school. Her father gave consent for us to travel, in the consent letter it states the date of departure and date of return.

When reading my post, do you guys think i will have issues at the border. I am going to be totally honest with them.
Btw my boyfriend is still married, divorce has not been finalized and also I met him after they split up.

I just need advice, i don't want to be turned around at the border especially because I am with my 6yo

I know, I know it is not the best time to travel... this is the only time that fits our schedule of work and school
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 02:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This forum is not the place to get a definitive answer to your question. We can only offer opinions that may or may not be accurate. Try the local British Embassy or Consulate and ask for their advice.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 06:07 AM

The British Embassy or Consulate are not going to be able to tell you if you will be allowed into the country. As Namibians do not need a visa to enter the UK, I can't see what a consulate could add. Even a visa is no guarantee of entry, the final decision lies with border control. You will need to complete a passenger locator form just before arrival into the UK, you don't currently need to self isolate however there are rules about staying with people overnight when you don't normally live together, England is currently in lock down. I don't see how you can comply with those rules. Your boyfriend must surely know the restrictions to having visitors to stay. Be aware that the rules change frequently.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-nati...-others-safely

Your other potential issue is finding flights to the UK. There is a severely reduced schedule currently with some routes not operating again until December.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that you cannot get any guarantee of entry, it will be up to immigration control when you arrive. I think being completely honest if they ask questions is important. Don't be evasive. If they catch you out in something that is not true, then they may not believe anything you say. I do agree though that is is a really bad time to visit, I would check if Britain is currently accepting overseas visitors and if you would need to quarantine.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 02:20 AM

"I would check if Britain is currently accepting overseas visitors and if you would need to quarantine."

AFAIK The UK accepts incoming visitors from overseas except from Denmark currently. The issue is where the OP would stay as England is under lockdown and visitors are not allowed into private homes. It's a long way to travel just to be under lockdown. There will be new restrictions when lockdown is over (or it could be extended) on the 2nd December. Namibia is on the travel corridor list i.e. there is no need for self isolation but that list changes weekly and can even be backdated. International travel from the UK is currently prohibited unless for very specific reasons so the OP might encounter difficulties getting back home unless this restriction gets lifted. Flights are difficult to get as many are cancelled. And on arrival back in Namibia needs to show a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of arrival. The cost of that is at least £150 each in a private clinic if you order a self-testing kit. It is a really bad time to plan a visit. But the OP needs to do their own research.