Wisconsin - Madison to Bayfield

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2020, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have about 4 days to spend after spending some time in Madison in late August. We are planning to visit the Apostle Islands so we're looking for things to do and see in between Madison and Bayfield. The plan is to leave Madison on a Sunday and return Thursday, spending 2 nights in Bayfield (any B&B recommendations)? We're looking for any must see spots, including a good overnight destination between Bayfield and Madison. We enjoy the outdoors, including waterfalls, hiking & photography. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 11:25 AM

Well, you are going up the center of the state so not the most interesting, but some ideas:

Devil's Lake SP is not even an hour from Madison, but pretty hikes.

It's only a hill but the highest point in Wisconsin is west of I-39 but a bit circuitous to get to, Timm's Hill.

There's a nice enough Indian Museum just off the main route US 51, this is a pretty area/reservation of trees and lakes.

Here's a video of northern waterfalls, Copper Falls is somewhat on the direct path, but it's about an hour from Bayfield.

One of the beaches in the Apostle Islands has singing sands.

It's maybe a 5 hour drive so you would not have to break the journey, but Minocqua is a resort city right on the way.

Last edited by tom_mn; Jul 9th, 2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 09:24 PM

I have done that drive many times and I really can't think of anything along the way that would make me want to stop and spend the night. It is not a long drive from Madison to Bayfield and I would do it without an overnight stop..