Small Towns with Charm near Memphis or in Northern Mississippi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying into Memphis in a few weeks to visit family in Corinth , MS and am looking to take a few extra days for some sightseeing, I've never been in the deep south.

Any small towns you can recommend that have lots of history, some good restaurants and places to stay that aren't going to be too remote? We are interested in kayaking, historical tours and monuments and some good southern food! Any hints? I'm willing to go into Arkansas, back into Tennessee or to go further south in MS. Just would like somewhere with enough to do for a few days.

TIA
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

I decided on Vicksburg! Looks like there is an amazing amount of Civil War sites and museums, some good restaurants and an amazing locally owned bookstore.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 09:27 AM

A couple of day exploring Memphis would be a great fit. There is so much to do! Plan on going Downtown. Visit the Stax Museum on the way. Then tour Mud Island and eat lunch at Paulette's on Mud Island. Then explore the Bass Pro Shop at the Pyramid. Enjoy the Peabody Duck March at the Peabody Lobby then eat dinner at the Rendevous. Take in Beale Street. Enjoy the beautiful Orpheum if there is a Broadway musical or a Ball Game at the Fed Ex Forum. Then next day tour Graceland and the Pink Palace. There is more to do at the Mallory Neely House and Millionaire's Row. The James Lee House has a great Bed and Breakfast and you could en it at Molly Fontaine's.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
See if you can stop in Clarksdale either coming or going from Vicksburg. Visit the Delta Blues Museum and have some BBQ at Abe's at the Crossroads (of the Blues.) Don't sell your soul, even for a full rack of ribs (although you'll be tempted.)

Then follow MS Hwy 1 south, sticking as close to the river as possible, for a superb tour of the Mississippi Delta. Load up some blues or gospel on a flash drive or CD and let the music take you. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/MDwJniUkXHZt5j99A

Old Nov 27th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Stop at Tupelo on the drive down and visit Elvis' childhood home.
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 06:00 AM

I just saved this - great suggestions. We're going to spend about 2 weeks in this area, starting in Key West and ending in New Orleans.
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 06:17 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sf7307
I just saved this - great suggestions. We're going to spend about 2 weeks in this area, starting in Key West and ending in New Orleans.
If you are making that drive, you may be interested in the unclaimed baggage store between GA and Memphis in Scottsdale AL -
https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/

We are the only store in America that buys and sells Unclaimed Baggage from airlines. Come and see why we are one of Alabama’s top shopping and tourist attractions, hosting nearly a million visitors each year. With thousands of items arriving in our store every day, you never know what you’ll find!

That's true. There's no telling what you will find there.

If you have ever wondered what happens to the lost bags and contents that are never returned, there's the answer!
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by lynni
I decided on Vicksburg! Looks like there is an amazing amount of Civil War sites and museums, some good restaurants and an amazing locally owned bookstore.
Vicksburg is a 4 hour drive from Memphis-- and even farther from Corinth, which is way east of Memphis. I would suggest Oxford instead. Charming town square with boutiques and restaurants, and plenty of history. Only 90 minutes from Memphis.