Where to go after Northern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could use your help. My friend and I are planning a 2 week trip to Europe in May. We will spend 2 days in Milan then drive to the Lake Como area for 4-5 days and see all the towns there, probably by ferry. Now we are contemplating where to go after that. Geneva and Annecy? Zurich? Innsbruck? We have been to Tuscany so we thought Switzerland might be a good visit. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 07:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you foodies? Visiting Bologna and it’s surrounding towns makes for a great visit.
Have you been to the Piemonte region, wine villages, less touristed than Tuscany? To the west of Milan. Or the Dolomites? Incredible mountain scenery. We drove there via Lake Garda going and coming.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 12:57 PM

For Switzerland destinations, you may travel from Milan to Tirano to get on a Bernina Express train (google "Bernina Express") to St. Moritz. Or continue on to Chur or Zurich to spend the night. Then after visiting whatever you want see, get one another train to a town by Lake Geneva. You options are many.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 03:31 PM

Switzerland is an easy one because it borders the area you are visiting and it is just stunning. We once had a week-long winter holiday between Lakes Como and Lugano and from there visited Lugano and St Moritz as day trips. On the way there from Germany, where we lived, we stopped in Lucerne, which I had visited before, but my family had not yet been there. On our way back, we visited Liechtenstein, Bregenz (Austria) and drove past the Bodensee, although if we had had more time we would have visited in detail, as I hear it's very beautiful. However, the sun was setting by the time we got there. The Switzerland parts of the trip were more scenic, I don't think much of Liechtenstein at all - it is a curiosity rather than anything else. We did have a good lunch there, though. And probably most people would be totally focussed on Lake Como in that area - the fact that we had a short drive to three lakes (Como, Lugano and Piano) gave us a totally different focus. We had our time on Lake Como, but there is a lot in the surrounds also (days on the lake, hiking up a nearby mountain, city days in Como, Lugano and Milan, markets in Carlazzo, a day skiing in Switzerland and so on). So in short my vote is for Switzerland!

Lavandula