Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

When is the BEST time of year for a trip to Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forced to reschedule, due to covid, a first visit to Greece originally planned for spring 2020, we're going to reschedule for 2023. I want to be intentional about this probably10-day trip and choose the best time for weather and seeing as much as possible. We do NOT want to risk a heatwave as has happened to us on other European trips (July travel) and we have the luxury of being able to plan for any time other than September 2023 through the end of the year?

When would you choose to travel to Greece if you wanted great and non-hot weather and also to go when ferries and islands are "open"?
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 12:30 PM

MId-Late May and mid-September are the best times to go to Greece, especially to the islands. Plenty of ferries are available then and everything will be open.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by bakerstreet
Forced to reschedule, due to covid, a first visit to Greece originally planned for spring 2020, we're going to reschedule for 2023. I want to be intentional about this probably10-day trip and choose the best time for weather and seeing as much as possible. We do NOT want to risk a heatwave as has happened to us on other European trips (July travel) and we have the luxury of being able to plan for any time other than September 2023 through the end of the year?

When would you choose to travel to Greece if you wanted great and non-hot weather and also to go when ferries and islands are "open"?
Any time!!!!!!

Actually it all depends on what you are interested in and what type of activities you like.

Off season is in my mind the best time as there are less tourists, lower costs for accommodations and good weather spring or fall.

Just because it's off season doesn't mean Greece shuts down. They'll always be shops, markets and tavernas open for locals which will give you a more "Greek" experience rather than a tourist experience. Ferries are still running but maybe limited schedule depending on the island. Flights continue but not as often again depending on destination.

I go every October but since you say after September is out then it would be Spring, probably some time in May.

Last edited by crazyh; Jun 9th, 2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 01:54 PM

We just returned from Greece. We arrived in Santorini on May 13, and we departed Athens on May 29. I vote for May!!! Everything was open, and the weather was comfortable but Athens (out last stop) was the hottest destination with temps in the low 90's. I would not want to be in Greece during the summer months because of crowds and heat.

Another advantage to visiting Greece in the spring is the wildflowers!!! They were everywhere. And the landscape is greener, especially Naxos and the Peloponnese Peninsula!