Orbetello/Monte Argentario in October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2021, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all - We're returning to Italy this fall, and each time we like to visit one place that's new to us. I'd like to end our trip with a couple days in Orbetello or Monte Argentario, but it would be in mid-October. Does anyone know if resorts, restaurants etc typically close after September? Is this a good time of year to visit there? And I'll be happy to hear any recommendations on places to stay, restaurants, sights, etc. Grazie!
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 09:40 AM

Hmmm, I hope one of the locals will chime in. I think it would be very quiet, and I like it that way. Il Pelicano appears to be open, so that is a good sign.
I rented an airbnb in Orbetello in late May and everything was open except the one restaurant that I wanted to eat at! We enjoyed it very much. There are plenty of day trips on the mainland, particularly Ucellina park if you like hiking. If it is still warm and sunny, the promontory will be nice--the sun was blazing hot in May and some of the walks are quite steep. On the Orbetello side, you have flat sandy natural beaches.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 10:00 AM

We like Yorkshire have been in May and loved it.

Porto Ercole and Santo Stefano were like the 1950s just stylish under stated. We stayed on Argentario at Il Piccolo I agree with Yorkshire if the stylish and expensive Il Pelicano is open that means the season is open.

We stayed on Sardinia a number of times during October and have had good weather.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 01:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's another vote for Orbetello. A great place. We particularly liked the fisherman's restaurant just outside the town walls and did lots of excursions including to Saturnia and Massa Maritime which I loved.

We also went in May but I'd be surprised if things close down as early as mid October it's very popular with weekending romans.
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 02:21 PM

Annhig, that was the restaurant I wanted to eat at! I somehow missed that they were closed in May (not the first nor last time I have done that), but I did not need a reason to return--I'd actually love to live there. There is a language school in the newer part of town as well, so I have secret plans for a long-term stay one day. We also stayed in Massa Marittima on that trip, another wonderful town.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 11:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
that's funny, yorkshire, because I was there in May and it was open! Very good too, though perhaps I shouldn't tell you that.

co-incidentally I was there because I was attending a language school in the old part of time [great restaurant next door], I didn't know about the one in the new part but this was about 8 years ago. I was very sorry that I didn't get to stay in Massa Marittima as a few hours weren't long enough.