Search

Italy in spring

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2021, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in spring

We are planning a trip back to Italy in spring of 2023. We have traveled to Italy twice….and both times had a car for exploring Tuscany. This time we are traveling only by train. Questions: how is Italy in spring…we have only been in fall.
Torino…..Rapallo…..Lucca…..Florence.
Spring?
and any recommendations for these towns (have been to Florence 3 times and also Rapallo)
thanks!
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 08:05 PM

Not sure what you're asking.

Late spring is warmer and less rainy than late autumn. Early spring is cooler than the start of autumn.

April is basically high season. You've got Easter, April 25th national holiday and May 1st more or less EU wide holiday. Lodging prices are up. So are crowds.

May is much less crowded and to a certain extent so is June.

Autumn is mostly low season. After Nov 1st it's basically low season until Dec 15th. Crowds are much smaller. You may find some smaller tourist oriented businesses taking time off.

Old Dec 17th, 2021, 09:41 PM

Early Spring can be cool or rainy (jacket and umbrella weather), but I like late Spring/early Summer. Wisteria, Summer flowers, and warm enough to eat outside. Where are you going this time? North? South? Rome? Naples?
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 05:45 AM

I've been to Italy in mid March twice and both times had mixed weather. Some glorious days of 70s and great sunshine, other days cool and rainy. But especially if you are flexible it can be a wonderful time. One year we were planning Venice, Florence and Lake Como - well Venice and Florence were wonderful weather but the forecast for our 3 days in Lake Como were for rain so we switched plans and went to Rome then instead and it was beautiful. I then went to Lake Como after that and it was beautiful). So I ended up with two weeks of almost every day sunny. Had I stuck to my original itinerary it would have meant about 4 days of rain. That's not really a problem if you are in a city and it's raining but if you are somewhere like Lake Como or the Amalfi Coast several days of rain is not good. I'm sure April is even better weather but gets more crowded. Mid March was not at all crowded, in fact places like Lake Como and Amalfi still had a lot of places closed. That was not a problem elsewhere.
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

We are thinking of arriving first or second week in May……Torino, Rapallo, Florence….