Search

Bretagne: villages within 1+ hour to Rennes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bretagne: villages within 1+ hour to Rennes

Hi all,
Seeking a guest-house (gite) to rent for a week in Brittany: it needs to be practical for returning to Paris via Rennes. What's your experience with the Morbihand peninsula and surrounds? Sounds beautiful and accessible to day trips northwest. Perhaps warmer than the windy coast. Quimper also sounds interesting, but a bit of a trek to catch a train in Rennes.Consider Vannes, but would prefer a village, or a cosy neighborhood within the City of Vannes.. Any suggestions for a great base for a week (again accessible to getting to Rennes).
Planning 31/May - 7 June.
All advice and suggestions welcome, help me zero in on somewhere sweet!
Many thanks,
Peppermint
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 08:21 PM

Quimper is about as far away from Rennes as it gets in Brittany. I have been there (about a gazillion years ago) and it is a very nice little spot with well-preserved older buildings, and when I went they still had the remnants of a local pottery industry, but I understood that to be dying. Because it's out on the tip of a peninsula it would not make a very good base, although I visited Nantes from there. I think Vannes might be better from a hub perspective; the train passes through there on the way to Quimper. I can't make comments about accommodation in Quimper, it was simply too long ago. Le Mans might be another possibility for you but it is not a village, it is a small city.

If you look up Logis de France, you will find accommodation (usually small hotels) often in villages, where the emphasis is frequently on gastronomy rather than the hotel side of things, but often nice locations or something quirky about the property. That may be a better way of selecting a smaller location (working from where there is accommodation, rather than finding a town and trying to make your accommodation needs suit your selection of town).

Lavandula
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 12:19 AM

How are you getting from Rennes to your village of choice? If you have a car then you have more choice, and choosing somewhere inland means you can visit north and south coasts easily, with maybe a longer trip west one day.
Old Feb 23rd, 2022, 06:55 AM

We've rented 5 different gites in Brittany. Here is our favorite near Vannes.
https://www.gites-de-france.com/fr/b...verie-56g24315

I'll attached by Normandy & Brittany itinerary. There is another gite referenced in the itinerary that is close to Dinan.

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
File Type: doc