2 Full Days in Lake Como--seeking itinerary help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. My husband and I will end a 10+ day cycling trip in northern Italy with a 3 day stay in Bellagio. We have planned travel to Milan for oneof those 3 days leaving us with 2 full days to explore Lake Como. We're seeking assistance planning those two days to include Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio, Tremezzo, maybe Lecco if time.. We will not have a car and will have given up our bikes by the time we get to Bellagio so please do help with travel between comunities, along with best order of travel,etc. Thank you so much!
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 11:28 AM

We stayed in Varenna for two days a few years back. It was a fairly quiet place and aside from strolling around we didn't do much there. We did take a day trip to Bellagio by ferry the second day and had fun, both in town and on the boat. So I recommend that you look into a lake tour out of Bellagio or simply take one of the ferry routes to another village. It's fun to just look at the mountains around the lake when you're on the water.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. As I research more deeply, it strikes me we can likely ferry among a few key communties one day, and perhaps use much of our 2nd day to just hang out in Bellagio prepping for our return to real life, or spend the morning further south, and the afternoon and final evening in Bellagio But we're way open to ideas as we don't sit still well! Thanks again!
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 05:24 PM

We have visited the three towns in that region. I personally would rather stay in Varenna. Bellagio is great, don't get me wrong, but too many tourists. Varenna does have a train station. Not as busy as Bellagio but not too dead. We made ferry trips to Bellagio and Menaggio. I prefer the lake view a little nicer from Varenna.
Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 06:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have stayed in Bellagio four times, once for two weeks. We stay at the top of town away from tourist crowds.
Using the ferry system, visit Mennagio, Cadenabbia, and Lenno. When in Lenno you can walk out to Villa Balbaniello with its incredible views. No need to tour inside the villa.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Our stay in Bellagio is pre-booked as an extension of our cycling trip and not modifiable. We're definitely planning to visit Varenna, however. Do you have any tips for use of the ferries? Is there sort of an off/on option so we can hope on and off to visit multiple towns without having to buy tickets pre-boarding each time? I'm a bit confused by the ferry system website. Thanks again!

Last edited by svasbe; Apr 12th, 2024 at 08:20 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Happy Trvler, thank you! Any tips for use of the ferry system would be appreciated, too!
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
svasbe, there are one-day and six-day "free circulation" tickets. Fare is based on the farthest destination from the originating town. If over age 65, there is a small discount. Summer timetables haven't been posted yet.

https://www.navigazionelaghi.it/wp-c...glese-COMO.pdf

What time of year? Do you know what specific things you want to see/do? My preference would be to visit villas and gardens rather than stroll through towns, but that's me.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jean! "Free circulation" day passes sound exactly what we need to avoid standing in line repreatedly. We'll be there in late July...when it's likely busiest!
We're not shoppers so we'll probably spend more time at the garndens, hiking around, etc. With our limited time I was htinking we'rd skip Como. Would you agree, or is it worth a stop?

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Oh, one other question....May we purchase ferry tickets at the boarding point or is there some other location we will ened to visit? Asuming we purcahse the one-day passes, we will be departing from Bellagio each day.On the day we go to Milan we'll just purchase full fare tickets. We may actually return by taxi if we stay in Milan late.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 07:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're buying single ferry tickets, they can theoretically be purchased on board although I buy from the ticket office at the dock. The free circulation tickets must be purchased at the ticket office at your departure point.

If you stay late in Milan, you would most likely have to return by taxi. (But how late is "late"?) The last ferries from both Como and Varenna to Bellagio are not very late. (Check the summer timetables when they're released.) Just FYI, you can day-trip from Bellagio to Milan two ways. Fast ferry to Como, walk to Como Lago train station and then take two trains to Milano Centrale (change at Saronno) -or- slow ferry to Varenna, walk to Varenna-Esino train station and then take one train to Milano Centrale.

Personally, with only 3 days at the lake, I wouldn't spend one of them in Milan... and I'm one who likes Milan.

I'm not a big fan of the town of Como. In a very short stay, it wouldn't make my list.

Don't underestimate how long it takes to get around. If you want to stick to a schedule, pay close attention to the ferry timetables.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 05:22 AM

We bought one day tickets at the pier in Bellagio and just stayed on the ferry for the day seeing the central Lake Como towns from the lake. It was a very enjoyable (and inexpensive) day.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input (and keep it coming...we don't travel until July!)
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 08:22 AM

A couple gardens are of interest. The Melzi Garden just outside Bellagio

and the Villa Carlotta garden on the west bank of Lake Como

Old Apr 24th, 2024, 03:37 AM

Imo you should visit Lecco, Varenna and Tremezzo, cut out Bellagio and Menaggio as these two will have the most amount of tourists since it's peak season. If you're comfortable with crowds and potentially waiting in line for restaurants, tourist spots or photography locations then you should definitely go. But if you want it to be more peaceful in a sense then I would say skip the other two, especially since you're going to Milan as well.
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We're actually staying in Bellagio, but will certinaly consider skipping Menaggio per your advice. Thank you!